The 1980s Dance Music and Your Wedding - What a Great Combination!
Your wedding day. By far the most anticipated event of your life so far. Who to invite, which venue do you need to rent and what to wear? Pink or purple, yellow or black, or do you stick with white? So many colours to choose from. All life-changing questions, but let’s not forget 1 crucial aspect of the wedding: music. Music can either make or break this special day.
When you think about your wedding and the right music to play, of course, your mind will quickly wander off to one of our favourite eras of all time. This era had everything: the royal wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana, the Olympic games in Los Angeles, and the infamous Black Monday during the Wallstreet Crash. Of course, we’re talking about the eighties.
The 1980s saw a huge uprising of dance music. Disco music was already in the picture but faded a bit in the decade before. Until the moment, alternatives as post-disco, Italo disco, Euro disco and dance-pop became more popular.
Of course, there are also some classics released in the 1980s that wouldn’t be the best picks for a wedding. For example, we wouldn’t recommend playing “You Give Love a Bad Name” or “I Will Survive” — for obvious reasons. Just make sure the DJ is up-to-date and the wedding won’t be anything short of a booming success!
As the same applies for a wedding, your personal decoration is the absolute key as well. So make sure to wear at least one of these items before you start the playlist:
● Fluro or Hyper Colour T-shirts
● some fancy leg warmers and scrunchies
● a colour-block tracksuit
● and of course a gold dookie chain is optional, but favourable
While the fashion was arguable, the music from this era was anything but. From baby-making jams to forgotten classics, here is the only 80s playlist you’ll ever need.
Start swinging and get married with the Top 20 Most Requested Songs from the 1980s:
1. Call Me — Blondie
2. Another Brick In the Wall — Pink Floyd
3. Magic — Olivia Newton-John
4. Rock With You — Michael Jackson
5. Do That to Me One More Time — The Captain and Tennille
6. Crazy Little Thing Called Love — Queen
7. Ladies Night — Kool and The Gang
8. Funkytown — Lipps, Inc.
9. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) — Rupert Holmes
10. Working My Way Back to You / Forgive Me, Girl — The Spinners
11. Lost In Love — Air Supply
12. Please Don’t Go — K.C. and The Sunshine Band
13. Babe — Styx
14. With You I’m Born Again — Billy Preston and Syreeta
15. Shining Star — The Manhattans
16. Sexy Eyes — Dr. Hook
17. Biggest Part of Me — Ambrosia
18. Cupid / I’ve Loved You for a Long Time — The Spinners
19. Let’s Get Serious — Jermaine Jackson
20. Don’t Fall In Love With a Dreamer — Kenny Rogers and Kim Carnes
While you’re still here, check out why a great DJ on your wedding day is crucial as well.